Have to start developing my main protagonist. Here’s my first attempt at answering some of the character questions from Gotham Writers’ Workshop’s Writing Fiction (2003):
• What is your character’s name? Maybe Alicia?
• Does the character have a nickname? Alice, Isyang, Al
• What is your character’s hair color? Jet black
• Eye color? Black
• What kind of distinguishing facial features does your character have? A tad notch above plain. She’s quite ordinary-looking except that she looks young for her age. Can pass for a teenager even in her thirties. Dresses well, can transform herself into a very attractive woman with a bit of makeup.
• Who are your character’s friends and family?
Absentee Dad – mostly unknown, last seen when she was a little girl
• Who does she surround herself with? Who are the people your character is closest to?
1. Guy best friend
2. An accidental Counselor
3. Several “activity-mates”
4. Fellow activists
• Who does she wish she were closest to?
All in secret, at various points in her life: The jock in her high school, the queen bee in college, the “trapo” councilor in her city.
• Where was your character born? Where has she lived since then? Where does she call home? Metro Manila. She was born in the
mid-60s early 70s .
• Where does your character go when she’s angry? No place in mind yet. But she gets a compulsion to eat junk food when angry. And to take a shower or to swim–just be in water–when sad and needing to cry.
• What is her biggest fear? Who has she told this to? Who would she never tell this to? Why? She fears time may come that she will lose her passion to fight the battles she has been fighting, that she will stop believing her causes, and yet not be able to quit fighting because that is all that she knows to do.
• Does she have a secret? She has never gotten over her dream to be a ballerina.
Will see what I think of these notes come tomorrow.